Anderson’s Corner

Anderson’s Corner

William Anderson’s General Merchandise Store in Redland was the original general store in the pioneer era of Miami’s countryside. Anderson’s Corner in 1914. The little truck is from Linke and Fuchs of Homestead — Baker and Meat Market. Fuchs...
Matheson Hammock – a short history

Matheson Hammock – a short history

The first donation of land for a Dade County park came from the Matheson family in 1929 — 80 acres on Biscayne Bay for Matheson Hammock Park. Over the past nine decades, it grew with further donations by the Matheson heirs, purchases by county commissioner...
John W. G. Seybold – Miami Pioneer

John W. G. Seybold – Miami Pioneer

John W. G. Seybold was one of the fourteen original founding members of the Miami Pioneers historical society back in 1936. He was born in September, 1872 in Stuttgart, Germany. He died in Miami Dade County in 1940. John Seybold immigrated to the US in 1889. Prior to...
Miami Pioneers Charter Member: J. E. Lummus

Miami Pioneers Charter Member: J. E. Lummus

by Miami Pioneer Historian Darlene Crum additional information provided by Seth Bramson John Edgar Lummus was one of the original 14 charter members of the Miami Pioneers historical society. J. E. Lummus was born in 1867 in Marion County, Florida. A civil engineer, he...
MP/NOD Charter Members: John Sewell

MP/NOD Charter Members: John Sewell

(July 20, 1867 to December 1, 1938) Third Mayor of Miami John Sewell was one of the 14 original charter members of the Miami Pioneers Historical Society. Sewell was born in 1867 in Elbert County, Georgia, and moved with his parents to Florida when he was 19 years old....